12 replies to this topic

#1 IMR22C

IMR22C

Bolt

• Donating Members
  • 287 posts
  • LocationWagga Wagga

Posted 22 April 2011 - 10:54 AM

Hey guys, after partially deleting my ABS and my Gen3 conversion, its left me with a couple of globes in the cluster which need to be removed...

Anyway, I've decided that instead of doing half a job, I'll fit some new white LED backlights, get rid of the violet tinge etc while I'm there.

The last set I bought were from a bloke in Adelaide but I don't remember the ebay username he uses... What brands have you guys used? Many hotspots etc. And what are the part numbers of them?

#2 2hardtop

2hardtop

Crankshaft

• Administrators
  • 3,650 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 22 April 2011 - 11:25 AM

bionikal has done a few group buy purchases in the past for those

He'll be able to tell you which you'll want,may still have some available.
Weather forecast for tonight: dark.

#3 robk

robk

1st Gear

• Moderators
  • 1,866 posts
  • LocationSydney / Central Coast

Posted 22 April 2011 - 12:44 PM

When I got my white LEDs I got an extra set of 4 for the sake of it. So, if you want I can sell you my 4 spare white LEDs, the same as those in my own cluster.

I explained it in a bit of detail in my car diaries thread here

I basically sanded all of the purple off the back of the numbers and graduation marks on the gauge faces...yes that does lead to lots of hot-spots, initially.
As suggested by Mark, I taped little pieces of paper (the thin notepad paper, not normal A4 paper because that's too thick) over the hot-spot areas, and after a few hours of trial and error (on the bench) I had an almost perfect distribution of light.

One of the pics in my car diaries thread shows the back of the speedo and tacho after sanding and fixing the hot-spots...that particular photo is THE end result, so you can refer to that pic to see exactly how I fixed the hot-spots (I suppose your speedo will be a bit different, because mine is TRD 300km/h). There are some areas where you just sand away the purple and don't add any paper, and there are some areas with 1 layer of paper, and there are some (very few) small areas with 2 layers of paper.

NOTE: only the speedo and tacho had hot-spots, the other smaller gauges were fine straight away after sanding away the purple.

Anyways, let me know if you wanna buy my spare white LEDs, and I could bring them on Tuesday if you like.
267rwkw @ ~20psi

#4 robk

robk

1st Gear

• Moderators
  • 1,866 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 08:46 PM

I don't know if you saw my reply here yet Bill, but I'll bring the white LEDs on Tuesday just in case, assuming that you're still going.
267rwkw @ ~20psi

#5 IMR22C

IMR22C

Bolt

• Donating Members
  • 287 posts
  • LocationWagga Wagga

Posted 24 April 2011 - 09:22 AM

Sorry guys, I haven't checked in for a little while...

If you could Rob that would be great! And I'll speak to both you and Mark about it on Tuesday :)

#6 MRTurbo

MRTurbo

Spring Washer

• Board shutdown 2
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • LocationSA

Posted 12 July 2012 - 03:43 PM

oh yeah my cluster LEDs RHS are fading/flickering -.-, wouldn't have any spares would you?
This isn't a destination, it's a journey.

#7 robk

robk

1st Gear

• Moderators
  • 1,866 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 03:59 PM

View PostMRTurbo, on 12 July 2012 - 03:43 PM, said:

^ oh yeah my cluster LEDs RHS are fading/flickering -.-, wouldn't have any spares would you?
hahaha what a coincidence! One of my cluster LEDs started flickering last night on the way to the monthly meet, and who was the first person I asked for spares?...Mark of course!
So basically I took Mark's two spare white cluster LEDs, and used one of them. I could give you the other one at WTAC if you remind me? Assuming that you want white.
267rwkw @ ~20psi

#8 MRTurbo

MRTurbo

Spring Washer

• Board shutdown 2
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • LocationSA

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:40 PM

snap!
that would be great if you've got one spare (yep white) lying around rob. I'll just have to remember to remind you lol

#9 robk

robk

1st Gear

• Moderators
  • 1,866 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:49 PM

Actually it's in my MR2 glove box anyway, so all you have to do is remember to get it from me!
267rwkw @ ~20psi

#10 MRTurbo

MRTurbo

Spring Washer

• Board shutdown 2
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • LocationSA

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:32 PM

View Postrobk, on 12 July 2012 - 05:49 PM, said:

Actually it's in my MR2 glove box anyway, so all you have to do is remember to get it from me!
Cool! :)

#11 MRTurbo

MRTurbo

Spring Washer

• Board shutdown 2
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • LocationSA

Posted 17 August 2012 - 12:22 AM

View Postrobk, on 12 July 2012 - 05:49 PM, said:

derp and guess what, I didn't remember...... but then again you didn't have your car :/

#12 robk

robk

1st Gear

• Moderators
  • 1,866 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:18 AM

Actually I remembered while I was at Hooters, but I forgot after that lol.
267rwkw @ ~20psi

#13 MRTurbo

MRTurbo

Spring Washer

• Board shutdown 2
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • LocationSA

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:41 AM

View Postrobk, on 17 August 2012 - 01:18 AM, said:

Actually I remembered while I was at Hooters, but I forgot after that lol.
Ahhhh lol
well having B24 sitting next to me and beer and the girls, obviously, didn't help my cause hahaha :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users